Varicose vein is a very common condition in which the veins become enlarged, swollen, twisted and overfilled with blood. It is also known as varicoses or varicosities and can occur into any vein but most commonly affects the veins of legs and feet. Although it is not a serious condition it may indicate a higher risk of other circulatory problems in the patient. Varicose veins treatment helps in some severe cases, blood clots, inflammation, and ulcers or sores can form in legs.
Where can Varicose Vein Occur?
Varicose veins can appear in various parts of the body, including:
- Legs (most common)
Symptoms of Varicose Vein
For some people, a varicose vein may just be a cosmetic concern but others may experience symptoms like:
- Highly visible, swollen, lumpy & misshapen veins usually in the legs
- Blue or dark purple discoloration of veins
- Pain, swelling, heaviness, and aches in the legs
- Swelling, discoloration, or ulcers around the ankles
- Skin in the affected area is red, dry, and itchy
- Injury may cause longer bleeding than normal
- Leg cramps
Why is it Important to Treat Varicose Vein?
A varicose vein is not a serious condition and can be managed by making some lifestyle changes. But in some severe cases, blood clots, inflammation and ulcers or sores can form in legs. This is a serious condition as the veins can rupture.
Varicose Veins Treatment by Dr. Raymond M Shaheen in Bay Area
Depending upon the patient’s condition, one of the following varicose veins treatment can be done:
- Compression stockings: These stockings are to be worn in affected legs to encourage proper blood flow towards the heart. It gives relief from symptoms like discomfort, pain, and swelling
- Laser: Strong rays of light are applied to close smaller veins.
- Ligation and stripping: This involves tying and sealing of the affected vein.
- Sclerotherapy: This involves the injection of a chemical into the small and medium-sized varicose veins. The chemical will result in scarring, fading and finally closing of the vein.
- Radiofrequency ablation: The procedure is done under local anesthesia for larger veins and involves heating of the wall of the varicose vein using radiofrequency energy. The heat will result in effective closing and sealing of the vein.
- VeinGogh: It is a revolutionary, painless, fast and the most reliable way to get rid of a varicose vein. It is basically a laser vein removal technology that uses radio frequency to eliminate varicose veins.
For the best varicose vein treatment procedure, book an appointment with Dr. Shaheen now at Advanced BioSculpt!